I've been hearing so much about these Color Icon Trios from Wet n Wild I had to try them. I've had a really hard time finding these around my area - Wasilla, Alaska just isn't the place to get the most up-to-date products.
A couple of months ago I went to a couple of stores on many different occasions before I got my hands on this bad boy. I didn't want to post a review until I'd tried it a few times so I could provide an accurate review. I absolutely LOVED the colors in it - they're vibrant and I don't have anything at all like the crease color.
They came with these two tiny brushes. I can promise I will never, ever use them. I do not foresee good things for these brushes.
Here are the colors, no primer underneath. They're photographed in natural lighting.
I'm really in love with these colors.. too bad the product is sooooo crappy.
The thing is, once I actually pulled this palette out and started playing with it, I hated it. The colors in the palette are beautiful but once they're on I had a hard time figuring out what to do with them. Swatched they're very soft, but the fallout is intense. I barely touched my brush to the lightest green and color went EVERYWHERE. Like I mean everywhere. One swipe and I couldn't believe the amount of eyeshadow that just took off into the air. I don't want to call it chalky because it's not dry - it's like a really crumbly, soft eyeshadow. Like a crappy version of Urban Decay.
I also didn't like these colors together. The lightest white color is absolutely beautiful for a highlight - but has a teal duo-chromey finish on it that makes it totally clash with the other two colors. I followed the instructions on the back of the palette and looked absolutely ridiculous. When I tried to blend the crease color out it just completely disappeared off my lid. I had to keep adding more and try to blend it out very, very carefully.
Overall, the price is great on these things. The colors swatched are beautiful, but trying to work with them is awful. Sooooo powdery. A giant powdery mess. They just poof everywhere and end up all over my vanity and my clothes.. I hate it.
I practiced with them a while longer but just couldn't find a way that I liked using all the colors. I figured it was just user error because if everyone is busting a nut over these eye shadows how can I be the only one that hates them? I must be doing something wrong. While I'm still not a huge fan of this fomula I did manage to do a relatively nice EOTD. I saw One of Beauty's Daugthers FOTD with similar colors from Inglot and knew that this was something I wanted to try. I ended up wearing it out with my friends on a night on the town and they lasted relatively well - through two bars and a lot of crying through a fight on the way home with the boyfriend :) I'm not sure if it was a mixture of the sticky bases keeping the color vibrant and on my eyes or the eye shadows themselves - but after seeing how well they stay I think that I'll try a few different ways of applying them before completely shoving them into the back of my collection only for times when I need similar colors.
My pictures are ultra crappy - these are the pictures of the 'test run' instead of the real thing. I never ever wear something out of the house that's got color in it unless I tried it out on my own first, where I could easily rub it off and retry it if it didn't come out looking completely fantastic. I didn't have time to snap pictures of the real deal, my night out wearing makeup, so test run pictures will have to do it for you. I realize that there is mascara smudged everywhere - but I was not only testing the eye shadows but whether or not my NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils creased (they did not - not even on the night out, they were perfect) but my new eyeliner pen that I'm absolutely in love with - more on that later. But my real night out look was brighter/better blended then the pictures here.
List of products used, in order:
UPDD from lashline to eyebrow
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk all over lid and crease
Lorac Baked Matte Satin Eye Shadow in Chic (matte white) on inner 1/3 of lid
I Dream of Greenie lid shade on middle 1/3 of lid
I Dream of Greenie crease shade in outter corner of lid
UD's Darkhorse in outter corner of lid and in crease
UPDD from lashline to eyebrow
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk all over lid and crease
Lorac Baked Matte Satin Eye Shadow in Chic (matte white) on inner 1/3 of lid
I Dream of Greenie lid shade on middle 1/3 of lid
I Dream of Greenie crease shade in outter corner of lid
UD's Darkhorse in outter corner of lid and in crease
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk & Lorac Baked Matte Satin Eye Shadow in Chic for highlight
L.A. Girl Fine Line Liquid Eyeliner Pen on upper lash line
UD's 24/7 Eyeliner Pencil in Zero on bottom lash line
L.A. Girl Fine Line Liquid Eyeliner Pen on upper lash line
UD's 24/7 Eyeliner Pencil in Zero on bottom lash line
NYX Exotic Green eyeshadow smudged on lower lash line
UD's Skyscraper Mascara on upper lashes
Clinique's Bottom Lash Mascara on bottom lashes
UD's Skyscraper Mascara on upper lashes
Clinique's Bottom Lash Mascara on bottom lashes
What do you guys think of these palettes? Have you found any other ways to wear them that the colors mesh nicely together?









This is so pretty! I love green shadow in general though. :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't tried the WNW Trios, but I have some of their other shadows.
I bought Silent Treatment which I'm actually excited about - you can never go wrong with neutrals!
ReplyDelete