Followers

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

EOTD: Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Trios: I'm Feeling Retro

Here's the second Color Icon Eyeshadow Trio I could find in my area by Wet n Wild. 

After I saw swatches online I knew that I really wanted this palette. I bought it at the same time I got I Dream of Greenie. I was SO disappointed in I Dream of Greenie that I only took this out of the package to swatch it. It was left untouched in my makeup collection until just a few days ago. 

I love how they have the words pressed into the eyeshadow. It just looks nice. It bums me out to rub down the lettering, though!

Again, it came with these tiny, useless brushes. They'll sit in the bottom of the palette until I lose them, someone takes them, a dog eats them, etc..

Photographed with no primer in natural lighting.

The swatches are nice but I figured it would be JUST like the I Dream of Greenie one - really soft, but chalky and hard to work with. Surprisingly, I was wrong. The colors went on rather pigmented (may be due to all the bases I used?) and the colors worked well for my skin tone. 

I Googled around until I came across this tutorial. I don't know who this lady is and I don't follow her on YouTube, but I liked her look for this palette. Now I'm no racist - I'm not white myself and neither are four of the five foster kids that I love & live in my house - but it took me a bit of Googling to find a tutorial on this palette that wasn't done by a beautiful chocolate mama. These colors just happen to look amazing on darker skin tones. While I totally agree with bloggers of all types, it's hard for me to gauge how things are going to look on me if I'm looking at swatches of the product on a darker lady. I tried a few of the tutorials I found and they all looked terrible on me - I'm not sure what was up but I was blaming the palette. I was going to give this palette ONE LAST SHOT with this tutorial and am actually in love with how it turned out. While I was doing this eye look I didn't think I'd like it but I'll definitely be doing this again. 

It took me a while to decide if I should post that tidbit up there - but if someone is going to misconstrue my comment & twist my words to say something OTHER than I like to see how a product will look on my skin tone before I buy it than you can suck a fat one, sir and/or ma'am.

Here's the look:

My camera couldn't pick up just how incredibly shimmery this look was. Also - I know those eyebrows are atrocious. I know. I've been terrible to them so now I'm trying to grow them out so I can go get them waxed and be done with it. For now, they're out of control. Shameful.

Here's the list of products I used, in order:
UDPP
UD's 24/7 Liner in Electric, smudged on the lid
"Crease" blue from trio on eyelid
Shu Uemura's m990 Matte Black Eye Shadow in the outer corner
"Eyelid" purple patted over black & blended into blue
"Browbone" white all over under the browbone for highlight
L.A. Girl's Fine Line liquid liner along upper lash line
UD's Skyscraper Mascara on upper and lower lashes

Pretty simple, overall! I didn't use all the products the girl in the video did, nor did I use nearly any of the same products. It doesn't really matter if you use the EXACT same stuff as long as you use things that are about the same. That's the fun in making it your own look!

What do you guys think? Like I said - I was a bit hazy about it until I added liner and mascara. After that I loved it!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh I love this! I was iffy about these colors, but I love the way you used them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't iffy about the colors until I opened them and I was like holy crap - how am I going to make a look out of pink and blue? I'm going to look like a clown! It's bold even still but I like it anyways :)

    ReplyDelete