Followers

Friday, June 17, 2011

Maybelline Fit Me Foundation

I bought the Maybelline Fit Me foundation a few months ago. I wore it for a few weeks before deciding that while it was alright - it wasn't my HG foundation (holy grail foundation, for those of you like me who had no idea what the fuck that meant) and moved on to a different one.

We're going to hit some serious business here. Now we all know I don't photograph well and here's my not photographing well WHILE having no makeup on WHILE having a giant pimple on my chin. Ew. But I figured if nothing else, at least everyone gets a laugh (and prays for me, as I look so terrible here) and they can see just how well the foundation covers acne.

So let's get to business. No makeup, freshly exfoliated with some moisturizer. No primer or concealer or anything, just my skin.
Mmkay. All redness you see on my forehead are acne scars. The stuff on my nose and under my eyes are freckles, and the pimple I have is on my chin...ew. I do have bags and puffiness under my eyes and redness around my nose.

When I first tried the foundation, I bought it from Target and they didn't have 110 so I went with 115.. mistake, way too dark for me! I found 110 at a Fred Meyer and bought the accompanying powder. I didn't buy the concealer as I was days away from going to MAC and figured that I can always use more powder, but it would be a waste to buy a concealer if I'm just going to replace it literally a day or two from then. 

As you can see, there is a bit of a jump in color from 110 to 115.

I really do like the packaging. It's simple and clean, and easy to figure out what you need to be using. Another thing I love is that they have the matching concealer, powder, and range of blushes all in the same way - simple with the number front and center to show you what's good for your skin tones. I didn't buy any of the blushes because none of them were fuchsia, orange or purple :) they are all really nice mid-toned pinks. I do hate that this foundation doesn't have a pump - what kind of people make a foundation without a pump these days?

I apply my foundation with either a foundation brush or this flat top Sigma brush... I don't have a preference, just whatever is closer. Today it was this Sigma brush. I sprayed it with Fix + first so it wouldn't soak up as much foundation.

I used about this much foundation for my entire face. I found that it blended really well and was pretty smooth on my face.

Here are the foundation-only pictures. As you can see it did an alright job of covering redness, freckles and acne scars. No miracles, but alright. It didn't really do anything at all for that pimple.. But I'm unsure if much could. :|

I still didn't feel comfortable just using this though. Like I couldn't just slap this foundation on and run out the door. I felt like I needed a little concealer and powder to set.
Yes, this concealer is dying. It actually fell out and I had to stuff it back in there. It's just a cheapie one from the store so I wasn't butthurt about it or anything. It still works alright, it just looks like ass. I used the color 'light-beige.' I had actually been looking for the Covergirl one and bought this one on accident. I figured they were all about the same so it didn't really matter.

I used this concealer under my eyes, on a few random spots on my forehead, heavily on that terrible chin pimple and around my nose a bit.

I used the Fit Me setting powder. It's really powdery. I mean REALLY powdery. I barely grazed it with my fluffy brush and it went EVERYWHERE. I also feel like it made my face look a little cakey.. but we'll see. I'd actually never used this product before today, because I have the other translucent powders and I feel like all powders were created equal. Apparently, that is not the case.

This one comes with a nice little puff I promptly forgot about and a mirror. The mirror is good sized, actually. 

Swatches of the concealer & powder.

My 'final face:'


As you can see, it pretty much blanked out my face.. Which is what most of us are looking for. I used to not mind a little natural color coming through but pretty much now want my face to be one one even skin tone so I can add blush and bronzer to the places I see fit. I feel like the concealer made a big difference, and the powder helps it all stay in place. 

I feel like the shade was absolutely perfect for my skin tone, which isn't something you come across often. Like I'm not sure I've ever come across something that matched me so well. I'm a pale girl - a pale, pale girl - and I don't mind that. I used to but since I started embracing my paleness things are easier. Tanning is bad for you and fake tanning is hard to keep up with - I'd rather work my paleness and be proud. 

I have to say that this is not a foundation for someone with oily skin. I do not have oily skin. I used to think I had combination skin but I'm thinking I'm in the dry-normal region now. Three hours after I put this on, my face looks oily. I even had powder on and it still, looks oily. Oily to me is probably way different then oily to someone else - I don't like any shine to my face AT ALL. I want it to be completely matte. So that's a giant negative to this foundation. I had to keep reapplying powder every two hours or so to keep it how I wanted it.

I did notice that it didn't break me out, which is awesome. A lot of products break me out when I use them but this one didn't. Plus for Maybelline! I also noticed that all through the day if I did something like wipe my lips on a napkin, foundation always came off. That never changed, kind of annoying.

Overall this foundation is.. less than alright. Not terrible, not too bad, but not the best there is around. I wouldn't throw it away but I also wouldn't reach for it first if I ran out of my HG foundation and didn't have time to go get a second bottle. I'll leave it in the hierarchy of my foundations for a while before tossing it if I don't get around to using it up, which honestly I probably won't.

Have you guys tried it? What did you think? 

2 comments:

  1. It sucks that it makes you oily! With the concealer, & powder added it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! I have my HG foundation I just need to take pictures of it.. have you tried it before? the maybelline, I mean

    ReplyDelete