Followers

Thursday, June 16, 2011

June Birchbox

June's Birchbox came in a few days ago but I haven't been home to upload pictures and look at swatches and upload and stuff. It shipped out on the 9th and I got it on the 13th so I thought that was pretty damn good for Alaska.. As always, this is relatively picture heavy. Sorry guys. Just the kind of blogger I am. I'd rather show you with too many pictures than leave you wondering just what the fuck I was trying to tell you.

I love this packaging.. I'm going to find a use for these boxes, dammit!

Here's both sides of the insert card. It's got one side that tells you the theme of the box - which is travel. The other side describes the products in the box and lists prices for a full size product. 

The inside is always nice. It's always got a couple of things in there and then a tiny package. THE TINY PACKAGE MAKES ME HAPPY. I have no idea why. Apparently I didn't get enough excitement opening the box and digging around, now I get to open a little package and IT'SJUSTALLSOEXCITING!

Of course, I open the little package first. Umm, hello? Does anyone do it any other way? I don't think so.

The first thing I grabbed was this baby. While I'm totally into the other aspects of beauty besides makeup - it will always be my one and only true love. I may dabble in others but the awesome makeup products are why I subscribed to this box in the first place. This is the Laura Geller 'Blush-n-Brighten' (aka a bronzer) in Honey Dipped. This is more bronzer than I will ever use in my entire life. I could never use another bronzer again and this is more bronzer than I would ever need. I'm just not a fan of bronzer. Although I'm glad to try a new brand with this one!
You open it up and it's a nice sized product with a tiny half mirror. I cannot describe my extreme annoyance at tiny mirrors placed there to make it look like it's actually doing something for you - this is harsh but anyone who tries to put their makeup on with that tiny ass mirror is an idiot. I can understand a quick eye or lip check but really, you can't do much more than that with that tiny, tiny mirror. Really, where are you besides a bus that you can't go to the bathroom to check your makeup? But um, back to the bronzer :) it's a beautiful, swirly baked bronzery idea. It reminds me of the mineralize skin finishes from MAC, except for apparently more expensive. I really like it! I can't describe the smell but it smells delicious - almost floral?

On the left is a hardcore swatch, on the right is what was left on my finger blended out. The left swatch scared the bejeesus out of me with this bronzer - I am a pale, pale girl and that is a dark, dark bronzer. But used minimally, the shimmer in it gives you a really nice glow and it blends out really really well. It's really smooth! I personally love me some shimmer so the shimmer in it is just an added bonus. I would have just thrown on Nars Albatross over the top of it anyways.. I think that this bronzer might actually turn me over to a new leaf. I'm going to try to wear just bronzer for a bit and see how I like it - jump on the 'beachy' trend for summer! I will most definitely add a cheek swatch of this bronzer very soon.

I'm going to be honest, I haven't even smelled this sample. I hate perfume samples. They're just big enough for me to fall in love with the perfume and coat all my most-worn clothes that you don't wash all the time (sweatshirts, coats) in it and then it runs out and I have to either buy some if it (and Kate Spade is expensive!) or I can wash everything and switch perfumes. That's why I love that I have like, two main perfumes and that's it. Plus those smell alright when I combine them so I don't have to sniff-and-wash each time I decide to change perfumes. I'm going to pawn this off on one of our foster girls and let them go to down spraying themselves down like they're gonna strut up and down the street in some bootyshorts.. then my mom will yell and everyone will shower and we'll go back to normal :)

Deborah Lippmann.. oh yes. I want to try her polishes sooo bad. But I will settle for nearly-free stripper to go nail polish remover pads. I haven't tried these yet as I'm going to do exactly what the box thinks I should do with them - stash them away for my next vacation. I don't think that these things go bad, right?

I didn't have high hopes for this lotion. Everything breaks me out. EVERYTHING. So I see face lotions and I'm like super- another product I can't use. I'll give this one a shot and keep you updated on how it works out for me. The smell is AMAZING. Just like roses. I love everything that smells like roses, though..  Out of the container it's really, really liquidy. It smooths into your skin really well and leaves no residue. I could feel a noticeable difference between where I put it and where I didn't use it. I'm actually really hoping this works because even though it's expensive, it's hard for me to find good products that don't break me out and I'm looking for something to give me a little more under-eye moisture. 

I was also excited for this product. I'm a sucker for packaging and I LOVE this packaging. Also it's not in a tiny little perfume sample, it's an actual good size. I was thinking this was going to be like MAC's Fix+ but I was actually pleasantly surprised.. It's SUPER moisturizing. I didn't think it would be! I thought it was just going to be another spray water. I put this on the back of one of my hands but not the other and I can definitely feel the difference. Also, again, no residue. The smell to me is really citrusy but I can't name why - reading the description on the Birchbox website says it contains a lot of witch hazel. 
It comes in a spiffy little spray top bottle. For some reason I thought it was going to be a squirt top - I read that it was a 'mist' but for some reason was still picturing it more of a serum. It sprays on and feels just like water, but with an amazing scent and makes you nice and soft :) I won't be using this to set my makeup like the Birchbox website suggests, but to definitely moisturize my face on my dry days. I hope that this little bottle lasts a long time because I can already tell this is a product I'm going to absolutely love.

I read on another blog somewhere that the Birchbox comes out to $56 - which is awesome since I only paid $10. I'm positive that the full size products costs way more than $56 as the perfume alone is $80 for a full size, but I'm happy with what I got since it introduced me to three products that I never in my life would have ever grabbed myself or even had the chance to look at. 

On a different note - I saw the Hangover Part 2 with my mom and our 17 year old foster girl yesterday. What a funny ass movie! I really didn't have high hopes for it as the second movie is never as good as the first but I have to say that overall, it was still really funny. Really predictable, but really funny. I loved the monkey and was so, so sad but I won't ruin it for you guys out there :) Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

There are a tonnnnnnn of movies coming out that I totally want to see. For starters, Bad Teacher and the new Harry Potter! Also there's a movie about fighting robots coming out that I want to see too but I can't remember the name.. looks really good!!

2 comments:

  1. I really want to try Laura Geller products! & no haven't seen that movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the real winner of the box to me was the molecular mist.. I'm totally saving all my birchbox points so I can order a full size!

    ReplyDelete